Sunday, May 14, 2017

Sunday Sketch with Elsie

Hey all! It's Elsie back today with this week's Sketch Sunday, and it's a fun one!


I'm going to be completely honest and say that this layout really challenged me. I love this sketch, but I knew I wouldn't be able to follow it exactly as it's not inline with my style. I'm really not a "paper layerer" as I rarely ever back my photos with any patterned paper, so I came up with the idea to deconstruct the sketch and include all the main elements from it onto my design, to make it work for me! Let me talk you through what I did...


For this layout I primarily worked with the May 'Hello Beautiful' Add-On kit. I've had my eye on the  Shimelle Little by Little ephemera for a while; I was so happy to get it in this kit. I was inspired by the cute critter/animal images from that collection, and I wanted to make a feature of them on a page. 


In the sketch there are three different patterns behind the photos, so I used that number '3' as inspiration and used three different patterned papers and made them the focus of my page. I used the Shimelle cut-apart, that beautiful teal Daisy Dear Lizzy paper and also the Crate Paper Oasis woodgrain from the Main kit. I created some cutesy/whimsical looking trees and a small branch to set my 'scene' and use as my three main focal points.


The sketch has two photos, and I really wanted to challenge myself and use two as that's something I rarely do. The two photos I used are very similar, but didn't look great next to each other. I decided to separate them and use the two trees to anchor them and make them flow nicely with the design of the page. I'm so glad I was able to incorporate them both, if it weren't for the sketch that's something I really wouldn't have thought of doing!


I used that gorgeous embossed floral die-cut from Shimelle on the right side of my right photo, like in the sketch. I also created a cluster in the top corner of my page where I stamped the date and included my title 'Bold & Brave' (from the Expression's stamp set). 


The original sketch had that cluster in the top right, but it made sense on my layout to switch it to the top left.



And now it's your turn! To play along with this week's challenge, create a layout inspired by the sketch, upload it to the Citrus Twist Kits Gallery with the sketch date (2/26) in the title, and you might win a $5 gift certificate to the CTK store - yay! 

I can't wait to see what you create!

- Elsie x
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment