Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Tuesday Tutorial - DIY Template for Hand-stitching

Hello! It's Tara here sharing an easy tutorial today. I fell in love with Mira's 'Let's Get Digital' file this month. I don't own a cutting machine, so I decided to use it as a template for hand-stitching. You can use this method for anything you would like to stitch - just print out the words/phrases, re-size, and go!

The supplies you need are:

  • paper piercer
  • mouse pad or soft mat
  • needle
  • thread
  • printed phrase
  • removable adhesive

After printing out the re-sized digital file, I used some removable adhesive to attach it to my 4x6 card.



I tried to space most of my holes consistently, but not too far apart. I didn't worry too much about measurements. This part took a little longer than I expected! Also, you may need to use more pressure if you are using your tool over a few layers of paper or on photos.


Tip: Do not place holes too close together! I didn't think about it too much and when I started stitching, the small space between a couple holes ended up giving way. Don't fret if this happens to you, just keep on going. With practice it gets easier and no one will be able to tell the difference.



I found that using a back stitch was the easiest way to hand-stitch. If you're new to hand-stitching, Amy Tangerine has a great tutorial with some helpful tips!

Here is a look at my finished 4x6 card:
I really love the "hello, I love you" title paired with a "3" stamp from my stash documenting my son's third birthday.

An up close look:
I added a couple enamel dots from the October Sprinkles Kit to dot my "i" and cover up a little oopsie.

I hope you give hand-stitching a try! I found it relaxing to stitch while watching television or listening to a podcast. Once I got started, I was able to get into a good rhythm and was done in no time.

Have a lovely day!
Xxo, Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment