Saturday, April 26, 2014

Saturday Inspiration With Sandy

Today's layout is inspired by the colours of the pattern papers in this month's kits. That doesn't mean I used a lot of papers on my page, rather it's about being inspired by the palette of colours and patterns represented. Here's a look at my thought process as I went about creating my layout :

f3


The first step is to gather a selection of my favourite papers from each of the April kits to serve as my inspiration. This sets the general direction that my layout will be mainly white and blue, with pops of yellow and orange accents. Several papers will actually make it onto my page : the powder blue text, the diagonal stripe and the wood grain.

c3

I like the idea of polka dots but the black and white seemed a little severe, so I replaced it with a Jen Allyson MME paper from the Pattern Paper Kit. As a background the pastel bubbles works beautifully, softening the angular lines of my L-shaped design.

g3

To provide accent colours I look to embellishments from the kits. The bright orange XOXO title comes from an Amy Tangerine die-cut tag. I carefully cut away the matting and re-stitch it onto a journaling card. To get a little pop of yellow, I used a Maggie Holmes label with the word Cutie on it.  

k3

I've even included the idea of leaves from bottom corner of the inspiration picture. Not actual leaves per say, but rather a stitched feather tag peeping out above the photo. It's radiating ribs replicating the branching form of the leaves.  

m4

I've included two shop items on my page, they are the blue mosaic pattern paper (from the Amy Tangerine Plus One 6x6 Pad) and the arrow journal card (from the Basic Grey Highline Capture Snippets). Do check out the Citrus Twist store as Trina has added lots of exciting embellishments that coordinate with the April kits.

h3

Like many of my fellow designers I love the mix of green, blue and citrus colours in this month's kits, and especially the fact that there lots of soft neutrals to pair with these colours. Hope you enjoy scrapping with these kits.      

1 comment:

  1. Totally admiring your design and loving the soft palette! The point of view of your photo is also very eye catching!

    ReplyDelete