Tuesday, July 23, 2013

tuesday tutorial - a stencilled background

Hi everyone, Gina here to share a layout using the Crafter's Workshop stencil found in this month's 'Go Girl' Embellie kit.. I've created a subtle background on this layout using both sides of the stencil..and I'll how you how to do this in a few steps..

IMG_0716

to make the background I placed the stencil where I wanted to have the majority of the background colour and added some scrap paper strips around the stencil. I usually rip the strips so that the edges are 'softer' when misting..

IMG_0676

I then sprayed with 2-3 colors onto the stencil..in this case, I've used a couple of Heidi Swapp Color Shine mists 

IMG_0677

After the first spray, I lifted the stencil up, turned it over, pressings down lightly to 'print' the excess mists onto the page. If you have a lot of mist sitting on the stencil, dab a bit off on scrap paper first. This technique can help soften the effect. In this case, I've printed with the arrow sections of the stencil and even resprayed the stencil over scrap paper and repeated the process to extend the printed area.. I've also added a few turquoise and green ink drops

IMG_0684

Continuing with my obsession for triangles I've used some paper scraps to stack 3 triangles and mount them under diagonally opposite corners of the photo..

IMG_0685

The October Afternoon 'Miscellany' pack in the 'Travel' kit Add-On has enough goodies for several layouts (and they're also perfect for cards!) and I've layered some tags and tickets on this page and added some pretty ribbon, also from the pack..

IMG_0702

a little messy machine stitching adds texture and I've used half of the exclusive (epic fail) stamp in orange ink from a previous kit

IMG_0704

for the title I've used a pastel brown ink pad from a previous kit to dull down the bright pink letters a bit and then stitched them in place. The small alpha stickers are from my stash..

IMG_0701

thanks for stopping by, next time you pull out a stencil I hope you will give this technique a try!
Gina x

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this technique Gina! I love the subtle effect it gives to your background and gives me another way to use my stencil ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work for background!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, love all of the layering here!

    ReplyDelete